Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Photo of moon taken at exactly New Moon  (Read 324 times)
Bob Beal
Frequent Poster

« on: May 15, 2018, 12:55:33 PM »

Thierry Legault has managed to photograph the moon at the exact instant of New Moon when it was 5* S of the Sun (yes, in the daytime). Read about it <here>.

Bob
John Upton
Administrator
Prolific Poster

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 01:24:32 PM »

Bob,

That is VERY cool. I wonder if this is the first time this have been done before by an amateur (or anyone for that matter)?

John
Bob Beal
Frequent Poster

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »

It's the first time that I'm aware of. I first saw the photo on spaceweather.com on their Gallery page (the home page has a link to their gallery page). It'll probably be on their home page tomorrow and, I suspect, an APOD shortly.

For those that are unaware of it, Spaceweather's Gallery page often contains news-breaking, or at least unique, images; many of them little related to space weather. It's not just aurora and sunspot pictures here. Often I'm made aware of new supernovas or comets because of photos posted here, long before any posting on Cloudy Nights announcing their discovery. Legault, Jager, and other famous European astrophotographers often post images here (Jager regularly posts comet photos that are just amazing in their tail detail). I only recall one Druckmuller post, but it was the "definitive" photo of the recent total solar eclipse showing the corona extending out to ~10 solar radii. ISS sun or moon transits appear regularly, along with sharp images of the ISS itself (the best ones of these are from Florida, Puerto Rico, or Brazil). The clearest, most detailed photo ever taken of a gigantic jet (a form of lightning) appeared here (taken in China). Sometimes they even show pictures of the sun or auroras or Steve  :-)

Bob
Bob Beal
Frequent Poster

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:03:07 PM »

Well, that didn't take long. It's now on the front page of spaceweather.com.

As for whether it's been done before by anybody, that's also on the front page. The answer is yes--Theirry himself has done it twice--once in 2010 and again in 2013. A link to his website is also given.

Bob
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: